Knee Ligament Injuries
Knee ligaments are the short bands of tough, flexible connective tissue that hold the knee together. Knee ligament injuries can be caused by trauma, such as a car accident. Or they can be caused by sports injuries. An example is a twisting knee injury in basketball or skiing.
- sudden twisting motions
- Slowing down while running or landing from a jump incorrectly
- sudden, direct hit, such as in a car accident or during a football tackle
Treatment will depend on your symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
- Pain medicine such as ibuprofen
- Muscle-strengthening exercises
- Protective knee brace
- Ice pack to ease swelling